I know the QC is a long way from football but I thought I’d point to the happy chance of two clues appearing here after Sunday’s highly enjoyable (to a neutral such as me) game where the 6dn’s produced 22ac at Wembley.
1. SIGHT-READS – plays notes from page. Homophone (reportedly) of place – site (SIGHT) and wind instruments – reeds (READS).
8. OCARINA – musical instrument. An egg-shaped wind instrument with a protruding mouthpiece and six to eight finger holes, producing an almost pure tone. Love (O), vehicle (CAR), fashionable (IN) with a (A).
9. SHEET – one of a pair maybe. I suppose there can be a top sheet and bottom sheet (having a duvet makes this less clear). Determined (SET) about man (HE) – he-goat.
10. NASH – architect. Who he? John. 1752–1835, English town planner and architect. He designed Regent’s Park, Regent Street, and the Marble Arch in London. So now we know. Cleverly, these are reasonable (N)e(A)r (S)o(H)o.
11. ALARMIST – one seeing peril. Anagram (wildly) of ART I SLAM.
13. SWORE – vowed. Southwest (SW), valuable mineral (ORE).
14. ALICE – girl. Boxer (ALI), (C)apabl(E).
16. ONE-SIDED – biased. Anagram (out of order) of INDEED SO.
17. FAIR – double definition. Bazaar – market/fair, and passable – a fair imitation.
20. SLAVE – one worked hard. Put money aside (SAVE) including pounds (L).
21. LATVIAN – foreign language. Anagram (translation) of VITAL, article (AN).
22. FEVER PITCH – excitement. Female (F), always (EVER), (P)leasant, desire (ITCH).
1. SHOWN – demonstrated. Quiet (SH), private (OWN).
2. GLADSTONE BAG – container. Anagram (sadly) of BAD GANG STOLE.
3. TRIP – journey. (T)hat (R)esults (I)n (P)leasure.
4. EMAILS – communications. From bos(S LIAM E)xamines on the way up (backwards).
5. DISARRAY – untidiness. Daughter (D), is (IS), a (A), right (R), bugbea(R), indeed (AY).
6. SEMIFINALIST – competitor at later stage [of a competition]. Anagram (changing) of MANS LIFE IT IS.
7. STATUE – monument. Condition (STATE) – the Watford supporters were in quite a condition after Sunday’s game, safeguarding (holding) university (U).
12. PEKINESE – dog. After gym (PE), family (KIN), (E)xercise (S)trong (E)ager.
13. SCOUSE – Northern guy. Society (S), firm (CO), employment (USE).
15. LESLIE – man. From Wa(LES LIE)utenant.
18. RANCH – farm. Managed (RAN), church (CH).
19. STOP – end. Successful snooker shots (pots) brought us (STOP).