1. PROMPTER – double definition. One feeding (lines/cues to) the actors and earlier in the sense of ‘prompter action was required’. POI (penultimate one in) as it’s taken some time to work out the second definition.
6. FATE – destiny. Obese (FAT), European (E).
8. OGEN – where a melon is from. I ‘just knew OGEN but not sure why’. A small variety of melon named after a kibbutz in Israel (OGEN) where it was first developed. No (O) information (GEN).
9. DAD’S ARMY – sitcom (and in this case the ‘com’ genuinely did mean comedy) of the Home Guard. Parent’s (DAD’S), force (ARMY).
10. PLAY DOWN – minimise. Pressure (P), got on the bed (LAY DOWN).
11. GASH (wound). Grand (G), tree (ASH).
13. AT THE SAME TIME – on the other hand. Anagram (wrong) of THE TEAMMATE IS.
16. DROP – double definition. A dog drops/releases the ball, little liquid-drop.
17. WINDMILL – child’s toy. Suspicion (WIND – get wind of), pepper-grinder (MILL).
19. CLOISTER – part of abbey. Anagram (to repair) of COSTLIER.
21. RITE – ceremony. Homophone (to speak of) proper – right.
22. BOSS – double definition.
23. RALLYING – recovering. Second (ALLY) in boxing arena (RING). This has an extra edge as seconds of someone who is taking part in a boxing match are the people who assist and encourage them – therefore their allies.
2. REGULATOR – part of watch mechanism. Anagram (worked) of OUT LARGER.
3. MANGY – shabby. Chap (MAN), (G)rump(Y).
4. TEDIOUS – boring. LOI – needed all the checkers to find the anagram (playing) of OUTSIDE.
5. RADON – gas. Artist (RA), lecturer (DON).
6. FRAUGHT – Causing distress. Father (FR) is on top of anything (AUGHT).
7. TOM – cat. Almost grave (TOM)b.
12. SIMPLETON – fool. Alien (ET) inside Alpine tunnel (dnk – SIMPLON – mountain pass in the Alps of S Switzerland: 6,589 ft (2,008 m) – a railway tunnel near this pass: 12 mi (19 km) long).
14. HIPPIES – unconventional types. Joint (HIP), baked dishes (PIES). A pub nearby has the sign ‘Serving Food – some of which are pies, the rest of which should be pies’.
15. MINERAL – inorganic material. Inside exa(MINER AL)lows.
17. WATER – drink. Oddly (W)e(A)k (T)h(e)i(R).
18. MORAY. Rather than a double definition, I think this is a twin definition. Definition 1 – (MORAY) eel. Word play – second (MO), fish (RAY). Definition 2 – in this firth – (MORAY) Firth.
20. LEO – stars. Look (LO) round eastern (E).