15 minutes – the last 4-5 on 8dn because I just couldn’t see it coming.
1. Visage – face. VISA with say (EG) reversed.
2. Mend – fix. MEN, (D)emand.
9. Toothache – the pain one has when one of your pearls (teeth) is damaged. I haven’t heard set of pearls=teeth before and can’t find it in a casual look up but it’s pretty obvious.
10. Gap – space. Most of ‘drop jaw’ (GAP)e.
11. Sponge finger – something to eat. Wash cursorily (SPONGE), part of hand (FINGER). Gettable but the ‘cursorily’ just make this harder without adding anything.
13. Collie – dog. Runs (R) missing from miner (COLLIE)r.
15. Meddle – interfere. Homophone of gong – medal.
17. Butcher’s Hook – look in Cockney rhyming slang. This is what a carcase can hang on.
20. Ayr – Scottish town. A year (A YR).
21. No contest – walkover. Not a Tory (NO CON), trial (TEST).
22. Done – having finished. Teacher (DON), leav(E).
23. Tender – vehicle full of fuel. Anagram (out) of RENTED.
1. Veto – don’t allow. Surgeon (VET) on top of round (O).
2. Stoup – small basin of holy water. Drink (SUP) around TO.
3. Go hand in hand – have strong association. Work (GO), if you’re carrying bananas you may have a HAND of bananas IN your HAND.
5. Engaged – double definition.
6. Departed – double definition.
7. Screw – British slang salary, wages, or earnings. Small (S), team (CREW).
8. Regime Change – coup. Emigre is an anagram (change the letters of) regime – so could stand for (be) regime change.
12. Scabbard – sword is thrust into this. Strike breaker (SCAB), pale (DRAB) upwards (turning over).
14. Lateran – also called: Lateran palace a palace in Rome, formerly the official residence of the popes. Delayed (LATE), manage (RAN).
16. Grace – girl. Good (G), contest (RACE).
18. Oread – Greek mythology a mountain nymph. P(O)o(R) r(E)w(A)r(D).
18. Star – famous actor. Steady gaze (STAR)e with the final letter dropped.